News and Announcements
As we get real close to the season , we wanted to reach out to everyone again with the reminder regarding our clinic in Red Deer on April 14th and 15th, 2018.
In summary – we are in need of umpires in Innisfail we need 3 – 4 [I need to confirm the boys are coming back], Sylvan Lake 5 [we often have players umping so we need to figure this in to our total numbers], Lacombe 3 [as far as I know at this time again we often have players umping so more umpires help with the scheduling of games].
The real issues / shortages we see at this point are in Red Deer (10 ) and Stettler( 10 ) in fact, in both these locations the situation is looking really serious.
Adult umpires – we could use 5 for Ladies and 5 for Men’s. For adult umpires starting out we get them doing bases at this level and plates at a minor level until they are comfortable with their plate game. Our main concern is making sure no one gets hurt. We expect mistakes and at this level of ball so do the players. The key to our MEN’s and WOMEN’s games is working with a senior umpire to get started and comfortable.
Please talk to your son or daughter and ask them if they would be interested in becoming an umpire this season! RDSUA commitment to new recruits is phenomenal. All new umpires will be paired with a mentor to help them through the season. It is a fun way to make some extra money this spring!
Please go to RDSUA website to register!
Mr. Christopher Harper
We are new to Catholic Schools, what differences will my student notice?
• We expect all students to participate in the Faith life of our school – morning prayer, Religious Studies classes, participate in school Masses and celebrations.
• All subjects permeate Faith into curriculum and provide a Catholic view.
• We are a Catholic school for all students.
Does my child have to attend St. Thomas to participate in the middle school ball academy?
• Yes – To participate in the academy, students will need to enroll at St. Thomas. The middle school ball academy is a program of choice within Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools.
Will bussing for my child be provided If I am not in St. Thomas’ catchment area?
• Given this is program of choice we will work to continue to provide bussing for out of catchment students within the City of Red Deer Schools Boundaries (this would include rural students bussed into Red Deer Schools).
• No transportation will be provided for students who live outside of Red Deer Schools Boundaries (Eg. Blackfalds, Sylvan Lake, Innisfail).
• Transportation fees for bussing will be determined based on the school of choice guidelines as outlined on our transportation webpage. https://rdcrs.ca/schools/school-bus-information
How many hours per week does an academy student spend training?
• Academy training that is sport specific and take place 1-2 times per week.
• Middle school students will be taught and assessed by the St. Joseph’s Ball Academy staff.
• Have access to all of the benefits and equipment of the high school ball academy.
• Participate in the Ball Academy as a year long option.
How will students get to St. Joseph’s?
• Students will be picked up at STA and transported to the Academy by Ball Academy staff.
• This will likely involve some of their recess time to maximize instructional time
What will the facility look like? What other facilities do you plan to access?
• Skill component will access the St. Joesph’s FieldHouse (Drop Down batting cage, Pitching machine, Mounds), Outside Diamonds, Other Facilities (Batting Cages, “Wellness Studios” ex: Pilates for Core Conditioning).
What is the cost, registration and timelines?
• Academy Cost is $750.00 / Year.
• This is purely a cost recovery fee to cover the coaching that students will receive.
How do I enroll?
• Please fill out the middle school ball academy intent form that can be found at www.staschool.ca
• If your child is not currently enrolled with Red Deer Catholic regional Schools, you will need to call the school to set up an intake interview and complete the student registration form.
• Provide a $200 dollar deposit to secure a registration spot (payment made at St. Thomas).
Although we are very hopeful that Ball Academy will be a reality at St. Joseph’s and St. Thomas in Sept. 2018 we cannot say this for certain yet. Student enrollment in these programs will determine viability and sustainability. A “go or no go” decision relative to this initiative will be made later this spring. This information will be shared with you as soon as possible.
The document Ball_Academy_FAQ.docx was attached to this post.
SLMBA is still looking for volunteers to fill vacant positions on our board. In order to run our programs, we rely on parent support not only on the field, but off the field as well. Please consider donating your time to our organization.
We are currently trying to fill the following volunteer positions:
- Diamond Scheduling Coordinator
-Umpire Scheduling Coordinator
-Baseball Tournament Coordinator
Please contact us for more information!
Red Deer Softball Umpire Association is looking for umpires for the upcoming season! Please contact them at email@example.com to find out how you can register for their April clinic.
We are also looking for baseball umpires as well, please go to our website at www.sylvanlakeminorball.ca and click on the Umpire Clinics 2018 tab to register.
Congratulations to the following Head Coaches for SLMBA 2018 ‘AA’ Mariners Baseball teams:
U11 Mosquito- Miles Trieber
U13 Peewee- Jody Junk
U15 Bantam- Shaun Lagoutte
U18 Midget- Dave Elwood