Information night for St. Francis Ball Academy: Middle School Program
We are new to Catholic Schools, what differences will my student notice?
• We expect all students to participate in the Faith life of our school – morning prayer, Religious Studies classes, participate in school Masses and celebrations.
• All subjects permeate Faith into curriculum and provide a Catholic view.
• We are a Catholic school for all students.
Does my child have to attend St. Thomas to participate in the middle school ball academy?
• Yes – To participate in the academy, students will need to enroll at St. Thomas. The middle school ball academy is a program of choice within Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools.
Will bussing for my child be provided If I am not in St. Thomas’ catchment area?
• Given this is program of choice we will work to continue to provide bussing for out of catchment students within the City of Red Deer Schools Boundaries (this would include rural students bussed into Red Deer Schools).
• No transportation will be provided for students who live outside of Red Deer Schools Boundaries (Eg. Blackfalds, Sylvan Lake, Innisfail).
• Transportation fees for bussing will be determined based on the school of choice guidelines as outlined on our transportation webpage. https://rdcrs.ca/schools/school-bus-information
How many hours per week does an academy student spend training?
• Academy training that is sport specific and take place 1-2 times per week.
• Middle school students will be taught and assessed by the St. Joseph’s Ball Academy staff.
• Have access to all of the benefits and equipment of the high school ball academy.
• Participate in the Ball Academy as a year long option.
How will students get to St. Joseph’s?
• Students will be picked up at STA and transported to the Academy by Ball Academy staff.
• This will likely involve some of their recess time to maximize instructional time
What will the facility look like? What other facilities do you plan to access?
• Skill component will access the St. Joesph’s FieldHouse (Drop Down batting cage, Pitching machine, Mounds), Outside Diamonds, Other Facilities (Batting Cages, “Wellness Studios” ex: Pilates for Core Conditioning).
What is the cost, registration and timelines?
• Academy Cost is $750.00 / Year.
• This is purely a cost recovery fee to cover the coaching that students will receive.
How do I enroll?
• Please fill out the middle school ball academy intent form that can be found at www.staschool.ca
• If your child is not currently enrolled with Red Deer Catholic regional Schools, you will need to call the school to set up an intake interview and complete the student registration form.
• Provide a $200 dollar deposit to secure a registration spot (payment made at St. Thomas).
Although we are very hopeful that Ball Academy will be a reality at St. Joseph’s and St. Thomas in Sept. 2018 we cannot say this for certain yet. Student enrollment in these programs will determine viability and sustainability. A “go or no go” decision relative to this initiative will be made later this spring. This information will be shared with you as soon as possible.
The document Ball_Academy_FAQ.docx was attached to this post.